Could the docs on this site indicate prereqs for videos

Editor
Oct 12, 2011 at 4:48 PM

The two sample videos showing NO MVC using both AW and codefirst are great, but they don't fully identify the prereqs.  Perhaps these could be listed on the home page of the codeplex site, along with hyperlinks to make it easy for casual browsers to find and install the relevant prereqs.

So far as my notes go, the prereqs are:

- VS2010

- MVC3

- SP1

- Nuget 1.5

- SQL Server 2008 R2 Express (or equivalent)

For the AW demo, the "AW 2008R2 SR1 without filestream" download seems ok

Coordinator
Oct 12, 2011 at 4:56 PM

The System Requirements are listed on the Documentation tab.  (I'm not sure why CodePlex puts them there rather than the home page and I don't know if you can change it -  we're beginners onCodePlex).  Anyway, I've now put a link from the home page, just above the video links.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Feb 20, 2012 at 9:21 AM
Edited Feb 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM

This could be some weird thing that only affects me, since a colleague claims to have had success using AW 2008R2 SR1?! But anyway, I found that I could only get the sample working with the 2005 version of the AW database:

http://msftdbprodsamples.codeplex.com/releases/view/4004

As I say, this could be something weird that has happened to my copy of AW2008 R2 SR1 since I installed it a few months ago. I was getting complaints from the sample (exceptions) about unrecognised column names (for example)).

May be interesting to note anyway that the sample works with the 2005 version of AW too.

Coordinator
Feb 20, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Last week I ran a training course and hit exactly the same issue:  one person apparently having success with AW 2008R2 SR1 and one not!  It is very confusing trying to cope with all the different versions of the AdventureWorks database (some of which have only views where others have actual tables), multiplied by the the various different versions of SqlServer (including express editions).  I'd like us to be clearer on which combinations work, but haven't had the time time to get to the bottom of it.