Actions with ICollection<T> parameters

Nov 17, 2011 at 9:58 AM

I have created an action on a Group domain object called AddUsers similar to below:

public class Group
{
    public void AddUsers(ICollection<User> users)
    {
        for(var user in users)
            this.Users.Add(user);
    }
}

As expected the Action Dialog displays a parameter called users, but unexpectedly it does not provide a Find menu to allow the list of users to be populated.

If the parameter is a single User then the Find menu appears.

Is this lack of a Find menu by design, a bug, or am I missing something?

Coordinator
Nov 17, 2011 at 4:22 PM

It's neither strictly a bug nor a design intent  - it is an accidental by-product.  Until this time last year, actions could not be applied to collections  - and any such methods would be ignored by the reflector.  Then we introduced the idea of 'collection contributed actions'  -  which works well. (This is documented, but there is also a short video here:  http://www.screencast.com/t/5qEFjVja .  The side effect is that if you write an ordinary (non-contributed) action with a collection param (as you have) then it is recognised, but there is no mechanism for providing the collection.  My recommendation is that you move the action onto a service such as:

public class UserContributedActions
{
    public void AddToGroup(ICollection<User> users, Group group)
    {
        for(var user in users)
            group.Users.Add(user);
    }
}

and registed this service under ContributedActions.  I will raise a ticket to fix the framework such that any non-contributed action method that takes a collection should be ignored.

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Hi Richard,

I have just moved the method into a service and registered the service as a contributed action.  As expected I now get an action either when displaying a single group or when displaying a collection (of users.  However, that action still does not provide a find mechanism that allows me to pick one or more users to add to the group when triggered from the single group action menu.

Have I missed something, or is this also the expected behaviour?

Editor
Nov 17, 2011 at 4:50 PM
I think I saw this as well... the finder (User in this case) does not appear for contributed actions.

Was meaning to double-check and then raise an issue on it...

Dan

On 17 November 2011 17:44, paul_arnold_ <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi Richard,

I have just moved the method into a service and registered the service as a contributed action. As expected I now get an action either when displaying a single group or when displaying a collection (of users. However, that action still does not provide a find mechanism that allows me to pick one or more users to add to the group when triggered from the single group action menu.

Have I missed something, or is this also the expected behaviour?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (nakedobjects@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email nakedobjects@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Nov 17, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Designed behaviour:

-  When you display a standalone collection of Users, you should now get the action appearing on a menu and you should be getting check boxes on the standalone collection.  First you select the users you want to add, then invoke the action, which should show you the number of Users you selected.  You should then be able to Find the Group, and add them.  If this is not working, please advise.

Undesigned behaviour:

-  Because this particular action takes a Group parameter, then it is also going to be contributed to a (single) Group object, on its Action menu.  However, invoking the action is then going to ask for a collection of users and there is (currently) no way to specify that collection from there.  This is known behaviour. 

We either need to make the second case work (somehow) or make it not show up as an action.

To put it another way:  the only way you can currently apply an action to a collection of objects, is from that collection of objects.

Nov 18, 2011 at 7:47 AM

Thanks Richard,

The behaviour I am experiencing is exactly what you state.

From a user's point of view, I believe that not having the second case work is a restrictive limitation and would suggest this gets added to your list of potential future features that people could vote on.

I would certainly find it a hugely beneficial enhancement, as it would enable me to add useful redundancy, (2 ways to achieve the same goal from different but appropriate places).  It would also allow easier bulk actions.  Again in my example...I could assign 'n' users to 'm' groups in one action rather than 'n' or 'm' actions.

Coordinator
Nov 18, 2011 at 8:38 AM

I forgot to say that I think that, given that the second case doesn't work, you can suppress the contribution of the action to the Group object by adding a [NotContributedAction(typeof(Group))] to it.  That way the action should only appear on the collection of Users.