default style does not work on iphone - not mobile friendly

Apr 14, 2012 at 3:35 AM

I created an empty asp.net MVC 3 website, and made a trivial naked objects site. But the menu does not work on my iphone using either Safari or Perfect Browser. I confirmed that my application works fine on a normal desktop browser (IE 9 on Windows 7, and Safari 5). Does anyone have tips for how to build a mobile friendly app using Naked Objects . Net?

Coordinator
Apr 14, 2012 at 7:39 AM

I assume the issue is just the CSS  -  the drop-down menus are driven entirely by CSS, not by JavaScript.  You could confirm this by cutting out the CSS altogether.  The result would be a nightmare to use on a mobile phone, but it would at least confirm the diagnosis.

It would be great if you or someone could develop a CSS that would work on mobiles.

Please note, though, that if I was starting to develop specifically for mobiles, I would be looking at our related project Restful Objects and building a single-page web app (using JQuery Mobile) that talked to the Restful Objects server.  (The domain model coding is identical to that for Naked Objects MVC).  We've done some very early experiments with such an app  -  they're pretty crude  -  but it is a very promising approach.

Editor
Apr 14, 2012 at 7:44 AM
Yes, there's a demo of jquerymobile [1] that runs against the Isis impl of Restful Objects

I blogged about this also [2]

If you go this route, you're going to have to do some work... probably a little more so than building a new mobile-friendly CSS; but the end result will be a lot prettier...

Dan

[2] http://danhaywood.com/2012/02/01/jquerymobile-demo-app-walkthr/

On 14 April 2012 07:39, richardpawson <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I assume the issue is just the CSS - the drop-down menus are driven entirely by CSS, not by JavaScript. You could confirm this by cutting out the CSS altogether. The result would be a nightmare to use on a mobile phone, but it would at least confirm the diagnosis.

It would be great if you or someone could develop a CSS that would work on mobiles.

Please note, though, that if I was starting to develop specifically for mobiles, I would be looking at our related project Restful Objects and building a single-page web app (using JQuery Mobile) that talked to the Restful Objects server. (The domain model coding is identical to that for Naked Objects MVC). We've done some very early experiments with such an app - they're pretty crude - but it is a very promising approach.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (nakedobjects@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email nakedobjects@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Apr 14, 2012 at 2:45 PM
I disabled CSS, and it now works. So we confirmed that it's merely a CSS thing. I am totally new to mobile development so I'm a poor candidate to develop a mobile friendly CSS. But if I do manage to tinker around and figure something out, I will post what I learn so others can benefit.

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 1:44 AM, dkhaywood <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Yes, there's a demo of jquerymobile [1] that runs against the Isis impl of Restful Objects

I blogged about this also [2]

If you go this route, you're going to have to do some work... probably a little more so than building a new mobile-friendly CSS; but the end result will be a lot prettier...

Dan

[2] http://danhaywood.com/2012/02/01/jquerymobile-demo-app-walkthr/

On 14 April 2012 07:39, richardpawson <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I assume the issue is just the CSS - the drop-down menus are driven entirely by CSS, not by JavaScript. You could confirm this by cutting out the CSS altogether. The result would be a nightmare to use on a mobile phone, but it would at least confirm the diagnosis.

Please note, though, that if I was starting to develop specifically for mobiles, I would be looking at our related project Restful Objects and building a single-page web app (using JQuery Mobile) that talked to the Restful Objects server. (The domain model coding is identical to that for Naked Objects MVC). We've done some very early experiments with such an app - they're pretty crude - but it is a very promising approach.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (nakedobjects@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email nakedobjects@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

--
David Kreth Allen
612-374-1119
“Instead of complaining that the rose bush is full of thorns, be happy the thorn bush has roses.” -Proverb