Thoughts on EF5?

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Hi,

I note that EF5 is out, and this is the one Ngget installs in fresh MVC projects. How does NO play with EF5. I note it uses EF4.

Many thanks,

Ed

Coordinator
Sep 19, 2012 at 2:14 PM

The next release of Naked Objects (which will be version 5.0), which we're working on right now with intent to release by the end of September, is designed to work with MVC4 and EF5  - it is running now.  I can't say that I have tried the current release witn EF 5.  If you feel like trying it out and reporting back, please do.

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Richard,

Sounds very exciting. When I am more familiar with NO, I may then be more able to be of assistance. Can I ask as to what are the main new features of this release are?

Many thanks,

Ed

Coordinator
Sep 19, 2012 at 4:25 PM

If you go to the Issue Tracker, select Advanced View, and Status = Fixed, you can see what we've done so far (which is most of it).  Sort by the Impact column to view the High impact tickets first.  In summary, some big themes are:

- Move up to MVC 4 and EF 5

-  Overhaul and big upgrade to the Code First capability

- Capability for instance-based authorization & better support for custom authorization.

You might also be interested in this, which is just being done now:  http://nakedobjects.codeplex.com/workitem/39   This is a capability to generate an XML snapshot of any domain object, including the ability to specify which associated objects should be in-lined within the snapshot.  This was in fact used originally at our client (the DSP) as an input to the XML communications that Dan referred to.

Also:  please note that I will be away from tonight for a week, and will (probably!) not be monitoring this forum for that time  -  but I'm sure others will be.

Sep 19, 2012 at 4:36 PM

OK, Thanks for this. Have a good trip.